Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spring Is Here!!!

This weekend James and I started our spring planting! This is one of our favorite things to do each year because it makes the house look great and it is a fun thing to do to get us out of the house and enjoying the beautiful weather.
This year we had a hard freeze for two days which is very uncommon in the valley, so because of this freeze we had to replace our hibiscus plants by our front porch. Normally I have all of the same color plants in the bed and then two different colors in the pots we have by the front door. This time I decided to alternate pink and coral colored hibiscus plants and I also decided to plant only five plants rather than the seven we had before. They were too crowded and overgrown before. This should keep it much neater.
I like the fact that you can see my little garden creatures now. We had the gnome from before but added the cute little turtle this year. I want to get some more but this was the only one I liked at Lowe's. Hobby Lobby should have some cute ones so we will probably go there this weekend when we get the stuff for the backyard which is our next project. Here is a close up of the cute turtle.

I also found a unique way of doing a herb garden from one of my Semi-Homemade w/ Sandra Lee magazines. If you have never seen her show or read her magazine you need to. She has great simple ideas and recipes that are easy for anyone to do and they look like they took forever. Her idea was to use a birdbath for a herb garden. I looked around for birdbaths but I couldn't find one that was suitable. I have a Labrador that gets into everything and all of the birdbaths I found were too low to the ground so I had to improvise with a big pot and a table but it still came out great! Here are some pictures below, I included one of the supplies in case you want to re- create it.

I put it right next to the back door so that I don't forget to water it. I don't have the best green thumb! :) I planted herbs that I use in cooking like cilantro, oregano, thyme, parsley, mint, basil and rosemary.
Hope you enjoy and Happy Spring!!!

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I've always wanted an herb garden, but I live in an apartment so I have no yard...this is a great solution!

    ReplyDelete