Monday, February 27, 2012

Monogram Fabric Wreath

So I was on Pinterest again and I saw this cute wreath idea made from fabric. I love wreaths as some of you may know so I was very interested in making this one. The wreath design is from The Patriotic Peacock blog which I now follow because she has some great ideas and cute stuff in her Etsy shop. The link to her wreath tutorial is here .
I like to make things my own even if I get the idea from someone else. On this one I added a wooden initial that I painted white because I plan on putting this at the entrance to my cubicle/office space at work. I have wanted to do a wreath with an A on it for our front door but I haven’t figured out what type of wreath for that project yet. So, now with this wreath I can have one with an H on it!! Plus I love anything monogrammed!!
Here are the supplies and steps to make your own monogram fabric wreath:
Supplies:
Straw/Styrofoam wreath- I used one that was 18 inches in diameter (Straw wreaths are cheaper than the Styrofoam ones)
½ yard of fabric (maybe less or more depending on your wreath size, I had very little left over)
2-4 sheets of felt (I used 1 and a half sheets, depends on flower size)
Straight pins
Pearl head pins (I used just white head pins to match my fabric better)
Wooden letter
Paint
Hot glue gun and glue sticks

Assembly:
I painted my wooden letter first so it would dry while I was assembling the wreath. I used Americana white paint and painted on 2 coats. Set it aside to dry.
 
To start on your wreath, cut your fabric into strips that are 2-3 inches wide.
 
Then start wrapping your wreath. (Tip: Leave the plastic on your straw wreath so it stays neat and the straw won’t fall off and get everywhere.) To wrap your wreath, use the straight pins to secure the fabric at the start and end of each strip, shown in the picture below.
 

Continue to wrap until the wreath is completely covered, like so.

Now you can start on your felt flowers. To make the flowers you will need to cut out circles from your felt. I used the top to a candle jar because I can’t freehand very well with scissors. J You can do any size circle you want depending on how big you want your flowers to be and you can cut as many circles as you want to have lots of flowers or just a little bit. I made my circles about 2 inches in diameter and cut 30 of them.
Next time I would do bigger circles because I thought the bigger ones looked better but I had already cut my circles. Trial and error!!
Now take your circle and fold it in half.

Then fold it in half again.
 
Pin this flower on your wreath with a straight pin and continue with as many flowers as you want. (Note: As I pinned I opened the flowers up a little since mine were on the small side.)
Once you have pinned as many or as few flowers as you want you can start adding the pearl head pins to some of the flowers to accessorize. I placed some in between flowers as well. Don’t push the pin all the way down because you want them to “pop” with the flowers not hide within them.

Now you can add your painted wooden initial, if it is completely dry.
You can hot glue your letter to any part of the wreath you want but I think it looks best opposite of the flowers. I wanted my flowers at a diagonal so I put the letter on the upper left hand side of the wreath. Be sure to glue any part of the letter that hits the wreath so that it is secure.




 Now you have a gorgeous monogram fabric wreath!! The fabric/felt combinations are endless!! I can't wait to make more.


Linking up to:

3 comments:

  1. This is adorable! Would love for you to come link it up to my party!
    Melissa
    www.serendipityandspice.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out so pretty! Pinning this. :)

    Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I really love your springy wreath! I've been in the process of making my own wreath in similar colors:) I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog The Blooming Daisy and leaving such a nice comment:):)

    ReplyDelete