Saturday, February 11, 2012

Awesome Chicken Enchiladas w/ Salsa Chicken

Recently I made the best enchiladas I have ever had!! I found the enchilada recipe on Pinterest and made a few minor changes of my own. They were awesome!! Here is a link to the original recipe.
Here is what I did:
Chicken Enchiladas w/ green chili sour cream sauce

8 flour tortillas (I used Mission Carb Smart)
2 cups shredded Salsa chicken (see recipe below)
2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
3 Tbsp. margarine
3 Tbsp. flour
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup light sour cream
1 (4 oz) can of diced green chilies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X13 pan with Pam. Mix chicken with 1 cup of the Monterrey Jack cheese. Roll the chicken mixture in the tortillas and place in the pan. Set aside. In a sauce pan on the stove, melt margarine, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add chicken broth and whisk until smooth, heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Stir in sour cream and green chilies. Do not bring to a boil; you will curdle your sour cream if it boils. Pour sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese. Bake the enchiladas for 22 minutes and then for another 3 minutes under the broiler on high to brown the cheese.

The Salsa chicken recipe I found on this blog. It is a great recipe because you can use it for so many different things. We had a lot of leftover chicken so I am going to make chicken nachos later this week to use it up. Plus it is good by itself. Here is the recipe:

Salsa Chicken

4 frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1 pkg. Taco seasoning (I used McCormick)
1 16 oz jar of Salsa (I used Hell on the Red)
Put all ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours. The original recipe said 4-6 hours but I was at work all day so mine was more like 9 hours. It was perfect. Take out of the crock pot when finished and shred with 2 forks. It falls apart because it is so moist. Use this in the chicken enchiladas, adds a ton more flavor than plain shredded chicken.


I served this meal with my go to Spanish rice and we were full and happy!! I will be making this again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment