Saturday, March 17, 2012

Swarovski Crystal Lanyard

I just realized the other day that I have not had a jewelry craft post since I started my blog. That is changing today! I used to be real big on making jewelry but I have only made a few pieces for special occasions in the past few years. To me jewelry making is fairly easy and somewhat relaxing. There are frustrating patterns and pieces but for the basic stuff it is pretty simple.  With that said this will be my first jewelry tutorial post and hopefully not the last. J
Last night I decided to make a lanyard for my work badge. We are required to wear our badges at all times and it has to be visible from the waist up. The only problem with that is we have to use our badge all the time to get into different areas of the building so it is easier if it is on a lanyard or retractable clip. I decided to combine the two into something fashionable (well as much as a badge can be! J ). Here is my lanyard that was issued with the badge.
Not so pretty, right?
Supplies needed:
34-40 inches of bead stringing wire (I used Beadalon 7 strand that I had on hand)
2 crimp tubes or crimp beads (whichever you prefer)
2 jump rings
1 large split ring (key chain sized)
1 small split ring
1 retractable badge clip
Jewelry crimpers
Chain nose pliers
Lots of beads or crystals (I used all Swarovski clear crystals, 4- 12mm cosmic bead, 6- 16mm Cosmic bead, 21- 3mm Helix bead, 15- 10mm Helix bead, 18- 6mm Bicone bead, 12- 6mm Round bead, 7- 8mm Round bead, 16- 6mm Briolette bead, 4- 12mm Graphic bead and 12- 10mm Disco Ball bead). This part is completely up to you so be creative.
All of these items can be found at any craft store. The bead choices will vary by store and I buy my Swarovski crystals from Bluemud online because they have a huge selection and are reasonably priced.
Okay to begin you need to figure out how long you want your lanyard. I am tall and didn’t want the badge to be up too high so I measured out my wire to be 40 inches, plus you want to be able to take it on and off over your head. This gives me the length I want plus extra wire to play with when crimping and finishing off the end. My actual finished lanyard is 34 inches.
Slide your crimp tube/bead on the wire and hold it in place towards the end of your wire. Take the end of your wire and slide it back into the crimp tube to make a loop.

Make sure you have excess wire (1/2 inch) on the other side of the loop and crimp tube; this will be covered by the beads and gives extra support at the end. Now take your crimpers and crimp the bead and then round it.


*For novice jewelry makers look at your crimp tool and notice that it has 2 different shaped notches, the bottom is the crimper (elbow macaroni shaped) and the top is the rounder (circle shaped). You place the crimp tube/bead in the crimper part first and squeeze and then place it in the rounder and squeeze to make it pretty.
You should have a loop like this:
Now you can start stringing your beads. This is the easy part!! Make sure your first couple of beads cover up the 2 strands of wire that are at the end so that none of it is poking out.
I used a bunch of various shapes and sizes and I did not do a particular pattern when stringing my beads. You can do it like this or you can use a bead board and design a pattern to follow. I just used my bead board to separate my types of crystals.
As you are adding beads keep in mind the length you want it to be and work from there.

Once you have finished stringing the beads you can string your other crimp tube. You will want to do the same as you did in the beginning by stringing the wire back through the tube and making a small loop.
(I left a little bit of room for my beads to move around because I still have to add the retractable badge clip to the middle.)
Crimp and round the bead as before. You will now need to trim the excess wire or if it isn’t a lot then you can just string it through the beads to hide it.
Now take your 2 jump rings and open them up a little with your chain nose pliers. Slip the loops from your lanyard into the ring and then close it. Be sure it is fully closed so that it can’t slip out. Before you close the second jump ring attach the first closed ring to it so that you have a necklace that can slip on and off of your head.

Now you just have to add the retractable badge clip. Take your large split ring, the one that looks like a key chain ring, and hook the clip to it. Now slide your small split ring onto the large one.


Lay your lanyard on a flat surface and find the middle of the necklace. This is where you need to attach your small split ring that is attached to the badge clip. I just slide mine onto the wire like you do when you attach a key or a key chain to a split ring. You may need to use your chain nose pliers to create an opening if you aren’t a pro at taking keys off of key chain rings. (Be sure that your badge clip is facing the right way before you attach it).

Voila!!

Now you have a beautiful and fashionable lanyard for your work badge!
Linking up to:

2 comments:

  1. WELL WELL MISSY! I bet you are the topic of conversation at the water cooler with that bling!! What a cute idea though! Seriously!! I don't know the first thing about making jewelry, but your pics made it look somewhat simple... Anyway I am coming over to say THANKS for the sweet lil note you left me about my burlap projects! And thanks for pinning!!!! {that makes my day}
    Stop by again soon!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do have a lot of people at work asking where I bought the lanyard and are surprised I made it one night after work. :) I am glad you thought I explained it well, I was worried about that part. Jewelry making is fairly simple but it is hard to describe with pictures and words. :) Thanks!!

      Delete